Aims and scope
A geographic and integrative approach
Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ”Dimitrie Cantemir” is a scientific journal devoted to the publication of papers characterized by a geographical approach. The journal embraces the Geography in a holistic approach, in the spirit of the humanist thinking promoted by the Moldavian scholar Dimitrie Cantemir. It therefore encourages the submission of papers on a wide variety of subjects related to human interactions from a social, economic or environmental point of view, across the geographical space. Studies stemming from human geography, regional studies, environmental studies, natural risk management or territorial planning alike are encouraged. Papers from various fields of study that focus on the spatial dimension of particular phenomena are suitable for publication in this journal. Both theoretical and empirical scientific papers are accepted for publication in this journal. A particular interest is given to those papers that approach topical issues and have a significant impact on the current scientific knowledge.
The journal benefits from financial and institutional support from the Department of Geography, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi.
A broad target audience
This journal is open to researchers from diverse fields of study and ranging from experienced and well-known academia members to young scholars. The editorial board particularly encourages doctoral students and young researchers to disseminate the results of their work and to receive help to advance with their research through the advice and recommendations provided during the peer-review process.
An Open Access journal
”This is an open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.”
Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ”Dimitrie Cantemir” is a biannual publication, having both online and print versions. The journal allows for flexible publication dates; an article is published online as soon as peer review, proof reading and copy-editing processes are completed, by means of the Online First system.
The peer-review process
Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ”Dimitrie Cantemir” is a peer-reviewed journal, the journal’s mission being to ensure the publication of quality scientific papers that regard meaningful research topics in the field of Geography.
All submitted papers will undergo rigorous peer-review, with a first stage consisting in editor screening, meant to assess the paper’s suitability for the journal. Only papers considered suitable will enter a second stage consisting of a double-blind evaluation process. The double-blind evaluation implies that the identities of the authors are concealed from the reviewers and those of the reviewers are concealed from the authors. During this stage, each manuscript will be sent to at least two independent reviewers, who will assess the scientific quality of the paper. Based on the reviewers’ evaluation, the journal editors will make a final decision regarding the acceptance or rejection of the manuscripts submitted to the journal.
There are three criteria that are considered when choosing a suitable reviewer:
1. each reviewer is active in the field of the paper he is required to evaluate;
2. each reviewer is free of any potential bias, meaning that (a) the reviewer is not affiliated at the same institution as any of the authors of the submitted paper and (b) the reviewer does not have co-publications with any of the authors of the submitted paper;
3. the reviewers are not affiliated at the same institution.
The journal follows a strict set of ethical principles for research conduct.
- Authorship and contributorship. Each author listed on a submitted paper must have a significant theoretical/conceptual, methodological and/or empirical contribution, according to the Contributor Roles Taxonomy (CRediT - https://credit.niso.org/).
- Originality and plagiarism. The scientific results as well as the written paper must be entirely produced by the authors. The paper should not present the same results/ the same research that the author(s) already published elsewhere.
- All the ideas, words, data or any other type of information retrieved from other authors or sources must be appropriately cited or quoted.
- Data sharing and reproducibility. Authors may need to provide raw or processed data corresponding to any stage of the research process to the editor during the review process or in case of allegations of research misconduct after the publication of the paper.
- Acknowledgment of sources. All resources (human, financial, etc.) used during the research and writing process must be acknowledged.
- Conflicts of interest / competing interests. There must be no financial, personal and professional interests that might interfere with the research conduct or with the interpretation of the scientific results reported in the manuscript.
- Ethical oversight. All papers including data collected on human subjects or private entities must have the subject’s consent and proper anonymization of the confidential data (mainly the identity of the subjects).
- Intellectual property. The journal Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ,,Dimitrie Cantemir” operates under the Creative Commons Licence CC BY. This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, so long as attribution is given to the creator. The license allows for commercial use.
- Post-publication discussions and corrections. The journal is open to perform changes/correction in published articles if the authors notify the board on existing errors or other issues. Direct changes in the manuscript can be performed before the respective issue of the journal is printed, while late changes are subject to publication of an erratum.
- Complaints and appeals are handled by the editorial board, according to COPE’s guidelines.
Process for identification of and dealing with allegations of research misconduct
- In prepublication stage, a Submission declaration form must be filled in by the corresponding author, agreeing to follow the journal editorial policies and confirming the originality of the research. At the same time, the editorial board performs an antiplagiarism check using Turnitin institutional software, in case of suspected plagiarism.
- In post-publication stage, allegations of research misconduct are dealt with according to COPE’s guidelines (https://publicationethics.org/resources/flowcharts/complete-set-english) by the editorial board.
An internationally recognized journal
The journal publishes articles in English and French, thus being open to a broad scientific audience. The selection of the articles for publication is based on the suitability of the topic for the journal’s scope (assessed by the editorial board) and on the scientific quality (assessed through a double-blind peer review process, assured by established international experts in the field).
Article processing charges
The journal Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ,,Dimitrie Cantemir” does not charge any fee for the submission, processing and publication of the articles. Also, the printed version of the journal is free of charge for the first author of every published paper.
Seminar participation opportunity
Created in 1980, simultaneously with the International Geographic Seminar ”Dimitrie Cantemir”, the journal continues the initiative of the interwar publication: « Lucrările Societății Geografice Dimitrie Cantemir » (a total of 4 issues in 1937, 1939, 1941, 1943). The seminar offers its participants the opportunity to present the results of their research and to take part in valuable debates on their subjects of interests.
However, the participation at this seminar is not conditioned by submitting the paper to the journal, nor does it guarantee the publication of any paper. Symmetrically, the journal welcomes proposals falling within its scope, without any conditioning on conference participation. Therefore, this journal does not publish conference proceedings, but journal articles (click here for further details on the types of manuscripts accepted for publication).
The journal Lucrările Seminarului Geografic ,,Dimitrie Cantemir” operates under the Creative Commons Licence CC BY. This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, so long as attribution is given to the creator. The license allows for commercial use.
Editura Universității Alexandru Ioan Cuza din Iasi requires authors to transfer copyright and publishing rights to them as the publisher.
The journal content is archived at National Library of Romania starting with 2011.
The journal does not exert any advertising activity.
Open call for papers as well as targeted invitations to experts to write commentaries are conducted according to the editorial policy and on exclusively scientific purposes.